We empower the voluntary sector to survive and thrive, by providing expertise, support, development opportunities and training.
Our ‘Empower the Voluntary Sector’ team will:
- improve quality and governance of VCS organisations
- support growth and sustainability of VCS organisations
- sustain and develop CAN as a strong umbrella infrastructure charity
Running a voluntary or community group can be very rewarding, but there’s a lot of legal and good practice to keep on top of. We offer general and bespoke advice to help you run your group effectively and efficiently, so it creates as much good for the local community as possible.
Within our Member Zone you will find useful information, links, toolkits and videos aimed at giving you lots of support and advice. As a full member if you need further help, we’re here to offer bespoke 1-2-1 advice and support, that’s completely free and unlimited.
For groups based in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole please contact Steve Place at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07966 742933
For groups based in the rest of Dorset please contact Bekki Stalker at email@example.com or phone 07840 854181
We enable volunteering through our brilliant Volunteering Hub helping everyone to play an active role in their community.
Our enable volunteering team:
- Champion the role of volunteering
- Enable people to volunteer
- Support organisations to promote, recruit, train, induct and provide ongoing support to volunteers
As a member you’ll be able to access lots of free help and advice as well as advertise volunteer vacancies.
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01202 466130
We connect communities by helping to create conditions where everyone’s voice is valued and heard by facilitating great local networking and communication.
Our Connecting communities team:
- Promote & champion the VCS
- Are the point of contact, reference and information for the sector locally. Identifying need and effectively communicating, developing and influencing policy
- Enable effective involvement and codesign of services, through meaningful community connection
Joining as a full member
We know you’re passionate about helping people, but the work can be daunting. That’s why we offer free membership to any charity, community group or voluntary organisation working in Dorset.
Our full membership enables you to access:
- expert information, one to one advice and training
- expert funding advice
- support with volunteer recruitment and management through our volunteer hub
- signposting and support to access services
- social action and professional networks
- local and national representation and advocacy
- attend our AGM and seek election to our Board of Trustees, who set our strategic direction and give us accountability to the sector
When you are starting out there’s a lot of things to think about, it takes time and it’s easy to get lost in the detail – you can forget why you are doing it. CAN’s help has been invaluable. From policies and procedures to day-to-day enquiries, having expert advice on hand has been a huge support to us.
As a full member we can also:
- Advertise your jobs on our website. You just need to complete this form.
- Share updates about new projects or services. Celebrate your news in our ‘Around the Sector’ newsletter and press releases on our ‘In the news’ blog – email email@example.com
- Access our Membership Zone (only available to full members). On these pages you’ll find lots of advice and information on setting up and running a charity or community organisation, our funding toolkit and recruiting and supporting volunteers.
- Advertise events and training. You just need to complete this form.
- Use of our CAN Member logo – Details of how to obtain and use our member logo will be found in the Member Zone after you have joined.
We’ve been around for over 50 years and have the experience, knowledge and skills to help your organisation grow and thrive. Let us work with you to create environments for community led empowerment by sharing our expertise, knowledge and facilities.
From influencing the development of local services to offering expert advice and support, we’re here to help.
Learn more about our membership – please click on the videos/image below: