WE EMPOWER the local sector
At CAN, we provide professional and practical support to organisations working in the local voluntary and community sector (sometimes referred to as the VCS). We help groups right from the start, empowering them to become strong and independent, with good governance and management. We provide support when it’s needed so organisations can evolve and adapt – and the sector can grow and thrive.
We have years of experience empowering the VCS, which we use to:
- Help build and grow the VCS locally
- Promote and champion the value of the VCS
- Provide high-quality information, support, advice and training to local voluntary organisations, community groups and charities
- Empower grassroots community groups to meet local emerging needs
- Help organisations to work collaboratively and share resources
- Cascade national best practice.
100% of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole groups satisfied with the individual advice and support they receive from CAN.
“CAN are an essential service to this community in BCP area. We would not be able to do such a wonderful job without them in place.”
Your views and feedback inform our work and plans.
Last year we provided expert support to 132 groups on a one-to-one basis in the BCP area – enabling them to deliver essential work in their community and reduce health and care inequalities. We regularly check in with groups to make sure we’re on track with the support we deliver.
- 97% were very satisfied and 3% satisfied with our service
- 97% would recommend our service to friends or colleagues
- 91%-100% said the work improved their governance, management, quality, sustainability and growth
The most common areas of advice and support were:
- general management and governance (36%)
- constitutions/setting up (32%)
These are impressive numbers and thanks goes to Steve Place our Senior Advisor for his continued hard work. But we’re always striving to do more. As a result of your feedback we’ll be:
- helping groups better describe the benefits and positive outcomes of their work, through a series of training, advice and support
- further developing our Membership Zone to allow more self-sevice and provision of more templates and tool kits
- proactively cotacting groups post our support to check in on their progress
EMPOWERING the sector
Here’s how we can support and advise you
Empowering CAN Dorset
Dorset Council have commissioned CAN to empower a resilient voluntary and community sector across the county …
Setting up a new group
Starting a new charity of voluntary group can be daunting, but we’re here to support you …
Running a group
Running a voluntary or community group can be very rewarding, but there’s a lot of legal and good practice to keep on top of …
Funding and income
We understand that finding the money to continue your work and realise your dreams for future growth can be difficult …
Support for trustees
Trustees play a vital role in ensuring charities and voluntary groups are well run, effective and working in the best way possible …
Equipment and resources
We can use our extensive voluntary sector networks to redistribute and re-home donations of good condition second-hand equipment …
Places to meet - back soon
Currently unavailable; we are carrying out some much-needed updates to our listing. Apologies for any inconvenience …